Mama Kat's is affiliated with various vendors that we feel you may benefit from. If you purchase through their links,
you will not pay more, but we may receive compensation. Thank you for making your purchases through these links - Kat
Chicken Fajita Wraps
I’m all about Simple y’all, and when I can take a shortcut in the kitchen, I will. Here’s a creative way to use pre-cooked rotisserie chicken, if you happen to be at the store grab yourself one (or two) OR if you cooked chicken earlier in the week, make a little extra and save to use in this Chicken Fajita dish for a quick and flavorful weeknight meal. This year we are having these amazing wraps for our Cinco de Mayo meal! Need some yummy salsa to go with that?? We LOVE, love, love Kent Rollins Salsa or his Cowboy Chutney! I am not affiliated with him at all, we just LOVE his products!! I bought a big gift box for us for Christmas with a whole lotta products in it and we have just fallen in love with everything. I also purchased his recipe book and can I just say…Wow! Defiantly a must have recipe book.
Check it out:
For best results, prepare your cilantro-lime sauce the night before so the flavors have a chance to thoroughly blend, it’s much yummier that way! Bonus tip, prepare the fajita seasoning in larger batches and store in an airtight container for later use. Planning your meals ahead will save you even more time on those busy nights when you need to get dinner on the table as quickly as possible.
Serves: 4-6 Servings
- 2 T. extra virgin olive oil
- 1 red bell pepper, sliced thin
- 1 green bell pepper, sliced thin
- 1 yellow bell pepper, sliced thin
- 1 orange pepper, sliced thin
- ½ small red onion, sliced thin
- 1 T. balsamic vinegar
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 3 c. rotisserie chicken (or leftover), shredded
- 2-3 T. homemade fajita seasoning
- ¼ c. chicken stock, preferably homemade
- ¼ c. fresh cilantro, roughly chopped
- 3 green onions, green parts only, sliced
- 2 T. fresh lime juice
- 1 head Romaine lettuce, washed and separated into individual leaves
- Prepare the fajita seasoning by combining all ingredients in a small bowl and stirring until thoroughly blended. Store any excess in an airtight container for later use.
- Prepare the cilantro-lime sauce by thoroughly combining all ingredients in a medium glass or other non-reactive bowl. Cover and place in the refrigerator until ready to use.
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the bell peppers, onion, and balsamic vinegar to the skillet and season with salt and pepper, to taste. Cook for 10-12 minutes or until the onions and peppers are crisp tender.
- Add the shredded rotisserie chicken, fajita seasoning, and chicken stock to the skillet and stir to combine. Cook until heated through and excess liquid is gone, approximately 3-4 minutes. Season with additional salt or fajita seasoning, if desired.
- Remove skillet from heat and stir in the cilantro, green onions, and fresh lime juice. To serve, spoon mixture onto individual Romaine lettuce leaves and top with a drizzle of cilantro-lime sauce. Enjoy!
Fajita’s are just one of many Mexican dishes we love to eat at our house. My husband could eat Mexican food 7 days a week. So, I am really happy when I can find a quick, healthy and yummy recipe to serve him. This dish would be perfect for Cinco de Mayo celebration, Friday night movie nights or double everything in the recipe for a large family to enjoy.
I couldn’t let you go without passing along these 2 simple recipes for your fajitas! Cilantro Lime Sauce, which would actually be really good on top of enchiladas or even a salad. And also, Fajita Seasoning! Use it on your fajitas, tacos, enchiladas, just tons of possibilities!
Homemade Fajita Seasoning:
3 T. chili powder
1½ T. smoked paprika
2 t. onion powder
2 t. garlic powder
2 t. ground cumin
½ t. cayenne pepper
1 t. dried oregano
2 t. sea salt
Combine all ingredients and put into air-tight container for later use. Feel free to double or triple the ingredients to have a supply on hand. Enjoy!
1 c. plain, full-fat Greek yogurt
1 T. homemade fajita seasoning
1 clove garlic, peeled and finely minced
2 T. fresh cilantro, finely chopped
2 T. fresh lime juice
Salt and pepper, to taste
Combine all ingredients and place in air-tight container in the refrigerator. Allow to get yummy for a day or two to allow all the flavors to mingle and come together. This will keep for up to a week refrigerated. Enjoy!
Here’s to simple and delicious eats,
Looking for more quick and simple recipes?