Gardening Resources – North Texas
Below is an extensive list of resources and products all gardening related, and most of them for my neck of the woods (zones 7-8) maybe yours, that I highly recommend. This page may contain affiliate links from which I will earn a commission.
Make sure to check out the main Gardening Page for additional resources and great information!
First & Last Freeze/Frost Date
Look This Up First! Want to know when to expect your last frost of the spring, or the first frost of the fall?
- Texas A&M Agrilife Extension – This is a MUST download. They list every single plant that you would want to plant and the appropriate timing to plant them. A really good reference tool to have! I printed it out and have it in my Gardening Gro Book, so I can refer back to it quickly.
- Dave’s Garden – Dave’s Garden has very extensive Plant Files, and very easy to use too!
- Dave’s Garden – Check out his BUG files too!
- The Urban Farmer – Planting schedules per your zone. Very useful tool. However, I have found that I fall in-between zone 7 & zone 8, so the tool isn’t as detailed as I would like. But very useful. I just downloaded both zones.
- The Farmer’s Almanac Planting Schedule – Another really great tool that uses your Zipcode so the results are more accurate for your location. Below is an example:
- The Urban Farmer Companion Planting Guide – This is a tremendous tool to look up companion plants. Really useful!
- The Farmer’s Almanac Grow Guide -Thisguide contains everything you need to know about planting, growing, and caring for all of the most popular vegetables, fruits, herbs, flowers, shrubs, and houseplants around! For each plant, we’ve identified hardiness zones, sun exposure, soil type, soil pH, pests and problems, harvesting tips, recommended varieties, and additional features. You’ll also find photos, recipes, frequently asked questions, and a dose of wit & wisdom.
- The Urban Farmer Calculators – Interactive crop calculators for farmers and gardeners. When growing vegetables in a garden or on a farm it’s always important to know how much seed is needed, when to plant, how much to plant and yield expectations. There are 6 calculators!
- The Urban Farmer Fertilizer Guide – Fertilizing your vegetables at the appropriate time will keep your plants healthy and producing fruit. There are many types of fertilizers to choose from as well as many natural fertilizers around the house.
Books I Recommend