As an Amazon Associate/Influencer, I earn from qualifying purchases, and this post may contain affiliate links to products that I love, at no additional cost to you. Please see my full disclosure page for further details.
Spicy Slow Cooker Chili
Anytime is chili time, right? Winter, Spring, Fall and yes even in Summer! I love to make Spicy Slow Cooker Chili because it gives me a chance to change things up every time I cook, and make life a little more spicy.
This chili is a kitchen sink chili and very tasty. So it you have a little bit of this or that, whatever you may have laying around in your refrigerator, feel free to add it in. Add some southern cornbread and you have a feast. OR, top a baked potato with this yummy chili!
This Spicy Slow Cooker Chili gets a nice boost of flavor by using a combination of spicy and sweet pork sausage, rather than plain ground beef. To turn up the heat even more, use all spicy sausage instead and/or add chipotle chili powder or extra cumin!
Tip: Crumble the bulk sausage with your fingers prior to browning. This gives you better control over the size of each piece and is easier than breaking up the chunks of sausage with a wooden spoon while cooking. Another alternative is to use a potato masher, or one of those fancy hamburger cooking tools, if you have one.
Spicy Slow Cooker Chili
- 1 pound spicy bulk pork sausage crumbled
- 1 pound sweet bulk pork sausage crumbled
- ½ c. chicken or vegetable stock plus additional, if needed
- 4 cloves garlic finely chopped
- 1 medium white onion finely chopped
- 2 stalks celery finely chopped
- 2 carrots peeled and chopped into small pieces
- 2 15- oz. cans white beans drained and rinsed
- 2 15.5- oz. cans red kidney beans drained and rinsed
- 2 28- oz. cans tomato puree
- 1 6- oz. can tomato paste
- 1 28- oz. can petite-cut tomatoes undrained
- 3 T. chili powder
- 1 T. ground cumin
- 2 t. oregano dried
- 1 t. cayenne pepper
- 1 c. black coffee or water, if needed
- Salt to taste
- Garnish (optional)
- 8 oz. shredded cheddar cheese
- ¾ c. chopped red onion
- 2 fresh jalapeno peppers sliced
- In a large skillet, brown pork sausage over medium heat until no longer pink. Remove from heat and drain excess fat from pan. Transfer browned sausage to slow cooker crock.
- Return skillet to burner over medium-high heat. Deglaze pan with chicken or vegetable stock, scraping up browned bits from bottom of pan with a spatula.
- Add olive oil, garlic, and onion to pan and cook, stirring frequently, about 3-4 minutes or until softened. Add celery and carrot and continue cooking another 2-3 minutes. Remove from heat and pour skillet contents into slow cooker.
- Add white beans, red beans, tomato puree, tomato paste, petite-cut tomatoes, chili powder, cumin, oregano, and cayenne pepper to slow cooker. Stir to combine all ingredients thoroughly. If desired, add water or black coffee to thin mixture before cooking.
- Cook on high for 4 hours, or low for 8 hours. When finished, stir and add salt to taste. Adjust other seasonings, as desired.
- Spoon into bowls and top with shredded cheese, chopped onions and/or sliced jalapeno peppers. Serve immediately. Freeze or refrigerate leftovers within 2 hours.
Use canned food when you can and also frozen foods too. Did you happen to find a great sale on ground beef, ground sausage or turkey? Prep those ahead of time in individual portions so it’s all ready to go when you are.
Here’s to Simple and delicious eats,
Looking for more quick and simple recipes?